Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Blow Yourself Up For the Planet

This is fresh thinking.
"We can't be breeding right now," says Les Knight. "It's obvious that the intentional creation of another [human being] by anyone anywhere can't be justified today."
It is when I see this kind of thinking that I am truly humbled, and take pause. Why, if breeding is bad, then, gosh, wouldn't reducing the population be even more environmentally responsible? For instance, why do we shamelessly try to prevent suicide when we clearly have too many mouths to feed on the planet?

I confess I have been to myopic in my vision. After reading this article, I can now see that the Islamic suicide bombers are not the terrorists I thought they were, rather, they are eco-heroes. How constrained has been my thinking.

But wait, as usual, free enterprise is way ahead of the curve on this one, and some upstart capitalist is first to market with an innovative solution:

Now, that's enhancing shareholder value!