Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Global Warming Just a Lot of Hot Air?

To listen to the MSM, you would think that we're soon going to be lining up for ferries in Chilliwack what with glaciers melting and all. With not much to think about while I was shovelling the global warming off my driveway last winter, I thought I would dig into the topic a bit more. Consequently, I bring you the first in a series of rebuttals of the whole global warming theory, most kindly made available at The Friends of Science. Here is installment one:
Myth 1: Global temperatures are rising at a rapid, unprecedented rate.
Fact: Temperatures have increased around urban areas (“heat islands”) which distorts the overall picture; whereas accurate satellite, balloon and long-term mountain top measurements have observed no increase at all.
So, do I believe in global warming? Well, let me say this about that:
Global warming is not something you believe in. It is either a fact, or is not. When a non-climatologist has two competing scientific points of view to consider, upon what basis does such a person subscribe to one view or the other? Furthermore, what evidence exists that global warming, if taking place, is being caused by oxidation of carbon?
Which scientific point of view does the MSM present most often? Are editors climatologists? What does that say about the MSM? Give it a think.