Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Mister Dog


Mister Dog (aka Crispin's Crispian)
Once upon a time there was a funny dog named Crispin’s Crispian. He was named Crispin’s Crispian because he belonged to himself.So begins the story of a dog who runs bang into a little boy, who also belongs to himself. This quirky, breathtakingly illustrated story is one of Margaret Wise Brown’s best.

I am going to update my profile here to include this title, under "most influential books". I obsessed over this story as a toddler, which was read to me out of the original "Little Golden Books" edition published sometime between the discovery of fire and the war on the Korean peninsula. In recognition of its special status, my mother preserved this little volume for me, and it is now one of my most cherised possessions. Yes, it's true, I am a sentimental sop. Most of the time.

Most parents who read to their children understand that there is one particular book over which a child obsesses. This one was mine. Reading parents listen up - when your child obsesses on a book, the essence of that book's story is striking a resounding chord deep with the being of that child. Take note. You are learning something about the little gift to whom you are reading.

Let us allow Steven Harper to own himself. I do not want a false image. Bravo to Steven Harper for his stance. Enough of voting for conjured apparitions, I want to vote for a leader - a human being.